Lion Cubs have had a great week. We worked on the letter Q and made a quilt picture on Monday. On Wednesday we talked about the letter R and colored a rainbow. We plan to talk about S and T next week. We will almost finish the ABC’s!!! Next year in Kindergarten Bound they will do many more activities with the Alphabet and letter sounds.
Now that the weather is nice, we have been able to enjoy the playground! On Friday, the Lion Cubs had a “fun day” while the older grades had Field Day. We played with balloons and silly putty. Everyone got a candy necklace and we watched a movie during rest time. It was a fun day!!!
We have a “regular” week next week and then just the following Tuesday and Wednesday. Our last day is Wed. May 31 and dismissal is at 1 p.m. that day. We will have a play day that day in our classroom that day, as well.
Here are some fun ideas for summer! In addition to all these ideas, here are my top 10 ideas that you can do that will help your child be ready for school next year.
- Read aloud. Visit the library and sign up for the summer reading program. Free prizes and lots of fun!
- Encourage them to be creative: coloring, painting, drawing. Use paper, cardboard, paper plates, poster board, anything you have around the house.
- Help them practice their cutting with scissors skills by giving them old magazines to cut out and glue.
- Work on counting items and saying their numbers. (Having them count to big numbers while they are waiting to get somewhere)!
- Put out a bird feeder and watch the birds together.
- Go on a nature walk around the neighborhood and look for interesting bugs, butterflies, pine cones and rocks.
- Let them help you in the kitchen: planning and making a meal or dessert. There are many simple recipes you can try together.
- Have a backyard picnic.
- Visit an elderly relative and bring them a handmade picture or gift.
- Go to church together and don’t forget bedtime prayers!!